Saturday, January 3, 2009

January 2009: Veronica Craven

1) What is the most challenging thing facing writers today?

The most challenging thing writers face right now the the fact that every time you think you have something original that no one has ever thought of or done before or said quite how you've said it, you find out it has. And better.

2) Where do you find your inspiration to write?
I find my inspiration in my life experiences or fantasies I could never act out other than on paper. There will always be some of my reality in everything I do. I think that's true for most writers.

3) What current projects are you working on?
Right now I am in pre production on a film I wrote called "Zombie King". Michael Norman Mann helped me on the screenplay. It's a post rapture party story of a lonely little zombie trying to hold on to her humanity while going on a 'Wizard of Oz' type journey to find the Zombie King who can 'cure' her.

4) Who are some of your favorite writers?
I love Stephen King. Love, Love, Love him. If I were a man, I would be Stephen King.

5) What's your favorite genre/medium to write in?
I tend to gravatate towards Erotic Horror. My writings have always been dark and pretty graphic. I've had to edit them significantly to fit an outline or treatment.
Now if you are talking about what do I like to use to write with. I have my note pads, shiny pens and pencils. I have tons of notes on scenes or characters, or general outlines. Only when I have somewhat of a complete item, will I use electronics.

6) What is your ideal writing sanctuary?
In my bedroom, or on BART. Love BART for writing. Much fodder for the mind.

7) How has working in cable influenced your writing?
Writing for television is much different than writing for the silver screen or a publication, or even a webzine for that matter. It requires a different skill set, or, rather, the force of you developing one fast! You have to be able to divorce yourself from your 'baby' it is not yours and they will tell you when they want it changed. They always want it changed.

8) As of right now, what are you most proud of with your writing?
Two peices pop into my mind: an horror erotic short titled "Sam Knew Better", it was published in a San Francisco underground magazine last year; and the "Zombie King" script. Those two I am very proud of.

No comments: